vrijdag 5 december 2008

Basque Amor por mi?

I'm here for almost three and a half months now and I have done some good observations. I've been making observations about the country view, the way of living, the looks of people, what they eat, how they party and ofcourse about the people. And with the people I also mean..hobre de Vasco!

“ For sure you are going to meet a nice guy over there!´´ and “Introduce me to your new lover when you come back´´ was what my friends joked to me about before I went on my little adventure in the Basque Country.



Actually trying to meet a nice guy was the last thing on my mind when I came here and I’ve been so busy with other things that the focus hasn’t been on the chicos over here but of course there were some moments in which it indeed was.

Two friends and me with a big hart
Most of the students I’ve met here a single at the moment. They did had a relation once, a serious one but since then dating hasn’t been in the picture I’ve been told. I’ve asked them if they don’t miss the attention or don’t feel like meeting somebody nice but they answer by all of them was in the negative. They are to busy with their family and friends who are very important to them and it would be a waste in their eyes to spend time on a stranger just to find out if you really like him.

This is very strange to me because all my single friends in the Netherlands go to have a drink or see a movie with a nice boy or girl that they have just met quit often. They are into the person and are trying to get to know him or her in this way. Actually I think they don’t even call it dating anymore because it is just so common to do. I remember myself drinking coffee, cooking dinner together, watching a movie, going on a pick nick, going to the park, going to a carnival or just to a pub with a guy more then once and the meetings were just agreed on like it was a normal thing to do. Afterwards a relation or a friendship or just some more nice meetings can come out of these kind of meetings.

Then there is the flirting differences. When I ask a Basque girl in a bar or just on the streets like ”Hey what do you think of that guy just passing by?” Most of them don’t know how to respond or turn a little red when they do.

I never see chicas and chicos making eye contact on the streets either. There are now little flirtations going on or people here are even more sneaky then the Dutch, that could be. For sure the girls over here will go crazy in the streets when the visit the Netherlands. So often my friends tell me about the hunk or gorgeous girl they made eye contact or even a little chat with just in the supermarket or on the train. Flirting is just part of being single in my country, people feel good about it and they love to talk about it.

But people, also some young ones, do have relations here. I wonder how they meet each other then if flirting isn’t such a big thing because flirting can lead to dating quit easily.For sure the relations that young people have over here are quit different then the ones Dutch young people have. Here I’ve been told that the lovers meet each others once a week or even less. They see their friends more often and will never put them aside for a relation.

In the Netherlands I know for sure that my female friends would kill there boyfriend is he only makes time for here once every two weeks. Of course it can happen that school and everything has to go first some times but if it has to be on a regular base it won’t be good for the relation.
What also is quit a difference is how young people in a relation can meet over here. As for as I know almost everybody lives with his or her family till they around 30. How can you have your privacy in that way?

In my country it is normal to move out of the house and rent a small one or just a room for yourself when you are between 17 and 22. This can also explain why there is more dating going on. You can just take it easy with meeting somebody and relax in your or the place of the others without being obligated to introduce him or her to your whole family right away. Only when you think he will be worth it you tell your parents about who you’ve been dating and bring him home for a meeting if you feel like it.

It has been good for me to always have something else then chicos on my mind over here because I don’t think that me and a Basque boy would fit together. Don’t get me wrong the once I’ve met are quit funny and sometimes sweet but the culture differences are just to big. To me they guys over here come over as very distant and the dependency that we both are used to would be to different. Not to insult but I can’t stand a guy living with his mother above 25. When I was 17 I got my own place. I’m very used to taking care or myself and a boy who let’s his mother take care over him just seems very immature to me. I know the government doesn’t financially supports students like or does so that we can rend a place more easily but still..
And next to that it helps that I’m 1.83 it doesn’t make me interesting for the smaller boys here and vise versa.

Maybe it seems like I’m complaining but actually I’m not. It is very good to not so spend time on meeting somebody nice because know I had been able to infest my time in really enjoying everything that has been going on in my Basque live the last months. Actually even now I’m still running out of time..

1 opmerking:

Unknown zei

I know exactly what you mean about the differences between the basque girls and the dutch girls! I am neither a basque girl or a dutch girl. It is a known fact that the dutch girls are very loose, and could never fit in a basque home environment. No offense but it is true.

As far as your sinterklass and zwarte piet it is nothing more than an extension of the "black legend" to promote hatred towards the Spanish people who were Catholic.

The dutch are not known for their kindness, modesty or moral values.