vrijdag 5 december 2008

How I love the social Basques

Two monts of my life I had spend in the Basque Country when I decided to go on a little trip to Italy together with another Erasmus.

I was going out of the culture I was just used to and when I booked my ticket I was already wondering about how it would be for me to leave the Country and go to again another culture then my own Dutch one.

Would I miss the Basque people, the country itself, the food and the way of living here? Or would I be glad to be away from it for a little while and start all over again with adjusting myself to another culture? Or would I, maybe, start to miss the Netherlands while I was there because I haven’t missed the Netherlands and my Dutch life yet.

The first impression of Italy was very positive. I went to different cities like Milan, Venetia, Bologna, Turin and all of them had a very nice charm. The cities are a mixture of old and new.
There are many buildings that reminded me of the old Roman style, which I adore, and while you go back in time at the same time new crosses your path. New in the shape of fashion. All over Italy you see the big brands like Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Dior and more (what else could a twenty-year old girl want?). On the streets the high level of fashion is noticeable as well. People are all chic and dressed up. The feeling of walking between the Italian people is way different from the feeling that you get when you walk between Basques.

In the beginning I was amazed by al the dressed up people but after one week I noticed that the look of the persons is actually the best part of them. There personality is completely different then the ones of the Basques. Once you get to know the Italian on the street you still feel like being kept on a distant, they are not that welcoming and interested and friendly. It was only the outside that really mattered.

Geen opmerkingen: